I don’t need to hire a tutor as long as my child is doing well in school and maintaining good grades, right?
Private tutoring can be an especially effective intervention for students who are falling behind in school. However, there are just as many benefits for students who are excelling in their classes or need a new challenge.
Below are five ways your child could benefit from one-on-one tutoring.
1. Tutoring supports different learning styles
No two students learn in exactly the same way. But with 25 to 30 students in each classroom, it is nearly impossible for a teacher to cater to every students’ individual learning style.
Although students don’t usually fit neatly into a single category, there are four general types of learning styles that educators try to incorporate into their lessons:
- Visual Learners: These students learn through sight and understand information better when it is presented in a visual way, like diagrams on a whiteboard or pictures on a computer.
- Auditory Learners: These students prefer lectures and conversations to textbooks. They prefer to read out loud to themselves or discuss new concepts with someone else.
- Kinesthetic Learners: Also called tactile learners, these students learn through experiencing things. They prefer to physically sense what they’re studying and prefer to use their hands to touch or feel in order to understand concepts.
- Reading/Writing Learners: Similar to Visual Learners, these students soak up new information through the written word.
Teachers in classrooms are trained to accommodate a diverse group of students and embrace all learning styles, but it can be difficult to cater to individual students in a group setting.
Personal tutors identify the unique learning styles of their students and then find ways to deliver instruction that will accommodate those preferences.
2. Tutors help students establish good study habits
Even the most brilliant students can be hindered by poor study habits. The current pandemic has also thrown a wrench in some study habits, as routines and schedules have been interrupted.
It’s never too early to establish strong study habits, which will help students through the rest of their life. College may come with more freedom, but it also often includes more homework. Professional workplaces set high expectations for their workers.
In addition to being subject-matter experts, professional tutors can help students learn study habits that will help them excel in school and beyond. Tutors can help students set up designated study areas conducive to learning and teach them how to organize their notes and assignments. Tutors also often emphasize time management and help students create and follow a schedule.
3. Tutoring assists students struggling with online learning
Online learning can be a challenge for some students, but schools did not have much of a choice when the COVID-19 pandemic started in March 2020. Instruction was switched to a virtual format as schools closed to prevent the spread of the virus. Students who were once excelling in their classes were suddenly falling through the cracks without face-to-face support from their teacher.
As many schools continue the 2020-21 school year with remote learning, many families are turning to one-on-one tutors for support.
While schools continue to provide the curriculum and assignments, tutors can provide the one-on-one support necessary for students to stay on track.
4. Tutoring provides new mental challenges
Sometimes students learn at a faster pace than their peers, and their regular classwork is not challenging them enough. In addition to remediation, most tutors offer enrichment sessions for students who want to master more advanced concepts or explore new topics.
One-on-one tutors in topics like language immersion and coding mastery are becoming more common, especially as few schools offer those subjects in elementary or middle school.
5. Tutors give students a confidence boost
There may be some truth behind the saying: “Fake it ‘til you make it.” Researchers have found that if students believe they are successful and feel confident in different subject matters, they tend to have a higher achievement level than students with less confidence.
Receiving a failing grade on an assignment can be a harsh blow to a student’s self-confidence, but tutors can help.
A professional tutor works with students on increasing their self-respect and confidence, and will inspire a new excitement for learning. Through one-on-one attention and lessons catered to their individual learning styles, students learn that they aren’t “dumb” or “slow” — they just learn differently.
About KidzToPros Tutoring
KidzToPros, a leading provider of enrichment education since 2016, is now offering one-on-one tutoring to provide an individualized experience for all types of learners.
The sessions are offered virtually anywhere in the world via live video. Students in the San Francisco Bay Area can also register for in-person tutoring.
KidzToPros was founded on the belief that the right instructors can make all the difference in a child’s education. Our team of educators will work with each family to identify opportunities of growth for your student and find a tutor with the perfect experience and teaching style to help.
KidzToPros offers three types of tutorings:
- Academic Tutoring: Tutors help students grasp concepts in math, science and English Language Arts, as well as offer homework assistance.
- Coding Mastery: Tutors can help students learn design and coding in Python, Unity, Java, Roblox and more.
- Language Immersion: Tutors can provide language lessons in Spanish, Hindi, French, German and English.
Tutoring is available 7 days per week and available in 60-minute time slots.
Request your free consultation
Interested in learning more about how KidzToPros one-on-one tutoring can help your child reach their full potential? Check out our website and request a consultation with a KidzToPros Specialist to start the process.